The only Competitions where winning comes first are the following – ECB U13 Cup ECB U15 Cup Hampshire U17 Cup Hampshire U19 Cup History shows that success in these competitions has provided the club with valuable publicity and helps us get recognised amongst leading clubs in the Hampshire and Dorset areas. They also provide our players with the opportunity to test themselves against the best in Hampshire and Dorset. However, these competitions only comprise about 10% of our youth cricket and for the remaining 90%, the following principles will apply –
2/. ENJOYMENT and INVOLVEMENT OF YOUTH PLAYERS
a)All players will get opportunities to bat in various positions in the batting order. This will help their development in that they will learn to bat in different game situations, rather than always bat in the top/middle/lower positions. It will also mean that they encounter different types of bowlers. Those players who are currently County/Development/District standard will learn how to win/save a game at the end of an innings, rather than always bat in the top 3/4. Those players who are currently considered tail-end batsmen, and therefore only bat when there are a few overs to go or a couple of wickets left, will get the opportunity of a longer innings. b)All bowlers will get the opportunity to bowl at different stages of the innings, so that they learn to bowl in various game situations, from looking to get wickets early in the innings to trying to contain the run rate later on, which will also mean they need to think about field settings more and bowling to certain fields. c)The captaincy will be shared around members of the team. This means that more players get to learn about the tactical side of the game and appreciate what is involved in being a captain of a side. d)Players not to be afraid of making mistakes in matches and training, but emphasis on this is how they learn to be better players. e)Players to help each other improve and enjoy the game. We firmly believe that by adopting the above approach, the following will be achieved – 1)Players will become better all-round cricketers as they progress through the youth system. 2)More players will enjoy their cricket and therefore still be playing when they are 16. 3)Players will learn to respect all teammates, as valuable members of the side. 4)Coaches/Managers/Parents will learn that mistakes will be made on the field that could cost the team the match, but a long-term view is much more important.
3/. RESPECT FOR THE GAME
We expect our young cricketers to respect everybody involved in cricket and to ensure they follow these principles – 1.Never show dissent to an umpire. 2.Never make derogatory remarks either to, or involving, an opposing player. 3.After the match, shake hands with the opposition and thank both umpires and scorers. 4.After our batting innings, wait on the boundary edge and clap the opposition fielders. 5.After our fielding innings, allow the last 2 batsmen to leave the field first and clap them. 6.Always take pride in your appearance, which involves having your shirt tucked in and any protective batting equipment worn inside your trousers.
Following these, will also develop ‘Life Skills’, as some of them are not always easy if the cricket is going badly.